1-16-10 My weblog has been added to these two exciting web sites: http://nineplanets.org/nineplanets.html click on ’solar system overview’ and our link is at the bottom.
http://www.floridastars.org/sswalk.html#Lists click on or scroll down to ‘other models’ and you will see our link there (PCIS Solar System Walk)
Here are the finished signs. My dad and I came up on Saturday 4-3-09 and painted the signs black. Another teacher helped me nail the trim onto the signs -Friday 4-2-09. My science classes would like for you to take a picture of you or your group at your favorite sign(s) and send them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will post them here for everyone to see. By sending the picture, you are giving me permission to post your picture on my weblog. Enjoy and I hope to meet you out there!
This model is based on distance not size of the planets. I have included Pluto as part of my solar system model. Only Mars is slightly off its mark due to a concrete drain that is exactly where the planet should have been placed. The signs are 2 foot by 3 foot, covered with a plexiglass and trimmed with a wood trim painted black. Nearly all of my information came from www.nineplanets.org and we were given written permission to use this information. A PowerPoint has been started but it needs a few touches to be completed. If you would like a copy of the Powerpoint that also will include the word documents that has all of the sign information on them, please email me at the above address.
I have lots of people to thank:
- Matt at Central High School for the grants.
- Sunshine Banners for the signs.
- Home Depot for materials.
- Harvey Limber Co. for materials
- Mark from PCIS for the advice, paint and posts.
- My dad for helping me paint.
- My wife for bringing me food while I was here late and supporting me.
- www.nineplanets.org for the information.
- Mr. Barnes for nailing on the trim.
- Phenix City Beautiful for the support.
- and Mr. Blevins, Mr. Suchman, and Mr. McDonald.
- My 6th grade science classes (2008-2009)
- My co-teachers for listening to me talk about this project daily– ok hourly!!